Crooked teeth are more than just a cosmetic dental concern. What many patients may not realize is that crooked teeth can cause additional oral health complications, damaging the gums, teeth, and jaw. It is important to address crooked teeth as soon as possible, but it is never too late to straighten your smile. Adult and children benefit from realigning their teeth. Norfolk, VA dentist, Dr. John Cranham offers a number of solutions for crooked teeth including treatment options for straightening teeth with or without braces.
Crooked teeth can:
- Lead to TMJ and chronic pain
- Make it difficult to properly clean teeth
- Increase tooth decay
- Cause overcrowding
- Cause malocclusion
- Make patients self-conscious of their smile
Straightening Teeth with Invisible Braces
Most adult patients prefer to use invisible braces to straighten their crooked teeth. Dr. Cranham is a Norfolk, VA area Invisalign® dentist. Invisalign® is the number one requested brand of invisible braces in the United States. Invisalign® Invisible braces are well suited for patients who have mild to moderate alignment problems. The benefits of invisible braces vs metal braces including:
- Improved Oral Hygiene – With an orthodontic appliance that is removable, you will be able to clean your teeth much more easily than if you were wearing metal braces.
- A Discreet Look – If you consider your orthodontic treatment to be a private matter, or simply feel that metal braces don’t fit with your self-image, a practically invisible form of orthodontic treatment might suit you.
- More Dietary Choices – To protect metal wires and braces, some diet modifications are necessary. With clear aligners, you can still bite into an apple or a crispy pizza crust.
- Comfort – The thin, flexible material of which Invisalign® is made will not irritate the soft tissues of the mouth, as metal wires and braces can.
- Teeth-Grinding Protection – If you have a teeth grinding or clenching habit, clear aligners can function as thin nightguards that will protect your teeth from excessive wear.
Straightening Teeth Without Braces
Dr. Cranham also offers several ways to fix crooked teeth without braces. Many adults do not wish to wear metal braces; they can be uncomfortable and embarrassing. Straightening teeth without braces can also be used when there are no health considerations that would require braces. The cosmetic dentistry options we offer our patients who want to straighten teeth without braces include:
Porcelain Veneers – Porcelain Veneers are permanent dental restorations that cover the front and sides of a tooth and are extremely durable. They are made of ultra-thin porcelain designed to look and feel like natural teeth. Porcelain veneers require three visits to our Norfolk, VA cosmetic dentistry office to design, create, and place.
Dental Crowns – A dental crown covers the entire tooth and is permanently bonded into place. The crown provides strength, aesthetics and lasting durable function. Dental crowns are stain and decay resistant and can be color matched to blend seamlessly with your smile for beautiful results. A dental crown is used to fix crooked teeth usually when they also have been compromised by decay or broken teeth.