The main goal of oral cancer screening is to identify it early where there is a greater chance of a cure. Dr. John Cranham offers oral cancer screening with the incorporation of the VELscope® Vx Oral Assessment System at his Norfolk, VA area dentist office. Dr. Cranham believes oral cancer screening is an important part of your routine preventive care visits. Oral cancer is very treatable and has a high cure rate when caught in the early stages.
Oral Cancer Symptoms
Oftentimes oral cancer starts out as a growth or sore in the mouth that will not go away. People who use tobacco of any kind and heavy drinkers are more likely to get oral cancer and should be persistent with their visits to our Norfolk, VA dentist office for screening. The most common signs and symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Bleeding in the mouth that is unexplained
- Finding it hard to talk, chew or swallow
- Finding it hard to move your tongue or jaw
- Sore throat, hoarse voice or change in voice
- Sores or ulcers on the face, mouth or neck that bleed and don’t heal within 2 weeks
- Swelling that persists for over 3 weeks
- Velvety white, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
- A feeling of something being stuck in your throat
- Lumps, rough spots or sores on the lips and areas inside the mouth
- Unexplained loose teeth
- Changes in denture fit
Oral Cancer Screening with VELscope® Vx Oral Assessment System.
This noninvasive technology is an important addition to oral cancer screening because it provides a more in depth view of tissue changes that can signal possible cancer. VELscope® is a hand held device used to examine the mouth and tongue which uses blue-spectrum light to highlight irregular tissue that the naked eye may not notice. This is important because there are often no signs or symptoms of oral cancer in the early stages. This technology enhances your oral exam and enables Dr. Cranham to provide more accurate diagnosis when tissue is damaged by disease.